In quiet gratitude, I reflect on the fact that a few years ago, I was severely anemic for almost six years due to having seven large fibroid tumors lodged in my uterine wall. As a result, the craving for ice was unreal. After a significant amount of time passed I had several places earmarked for the perfect type of ice that I could easily crunch. Any time the desire hit me a green light would appear in my mind and I began to plan my next ice-capade. My most frequented spots were, Zaxby’s, Krispy Kreme, Publix, and Chick-Fil-A. Years after surgery, I am proud to say I am free of my addiction to ice, low energy, fibroid tumors, happily married to the man of my dreams and enjoying a strong body full of life-giving blood and vitality.
I have experienced countless battles with my health and several were a byproduct of my own poor choices. Until you get sick and tired of being sick and tired your life is bound to remain the same. Success is the repetition of best practices and the elimination of bad habits. In order to ascend, you must prepare not only to fight but to win!
What is a craving? According to Merriam Webster dictionary, it is an intense, urgent, powerful and abnormal desire for something. There is nothing wrong with having a strong desire, the problem comes when we pursue unhealthy longings that often result in an unfavorable outcome.
Let me give you a primary example, if you are desiring to obtain a flat stomach yet most of your diet is laden with non-nutritional processed food items and your lifestyle is void of physical fitness the probability of attaining that goal is slim to none. That is unless you have a secret magic wand tucked away in the center of your Michael Kors purse.
Allow me to walk you through an easy to follow 4 step success plan to crush any addiction you may be wrestling with. You may have to go to battle more than once in order to win the war.
Step 1: Understand what’s fueling the craving.
In order to crush your cravings, it is vital that you first assess your current beliefs and strong emotions surrounding the unwanted craving. We can start with a simple one such as caffeine. Why do you feel you need to have coffee six times a day? There could be several reasons you may justify within your mind’s eye:
- Due to high demands and exhaustion, it boosts your energy.
- It helps you think clearly without missing a beat.
- You can’t live without the smell of it, the feel of it and the thrill of it.
- You wholeheartedly believe the best part of waking up is having Folgers in your cup.
Step 2: Alter your belief.
In order to change your behavior you must intentionally alter your belief. Now that you have identified your motivation behind desiring caffeinated food or drink substances it is easy to establish a new thought pattern.
- I obtain an incredible boost in energy when I exercise at the start of each new day.
- Having a well-balanced diet packed with clarity foods is what keeps my mind razor-sharp.
- I live free from every unhealthy and life-shortening craving.
- Every morning, as I open my eyes my body feels completely rejuvenated.
Step 3: Amplify your Aspirations!
Once you have a new lifestyle vision it will require constant reinforcement. I recently completed my seventeenth vision board and fifth vision book because I am serious about my subconscious thoughts being in agreement with my conscious thoughts. Total alignment in mind, body, and soul are paramount in order to achieve your desired goals.
Everywhere you find your eyes roaming there should be positive reinforcements to empower you to remain committed to the change you are creating. One way to reinforce your new way of living is to discover caffeine-free communities who will support you on your journey of fresh water, fresh food, and fresh focus.
I recently read the Success Formula by Bob Burg, who shared the law of diminishing intent which states, “The longer you wait to do something you know you should do now, the greater the chances are that you’ll never actually do it.”
Step 4: Take accelerated action.
You have delayed your transformation long enough. It is time to put some fire under your own feet. You must inspire yourself to do something radically different today than you did yesterday. Listen, casual efforts will produce casual results and extreme efforts will produce extreme results. Most people stop before they even start.
Let’s look at eight simple success strategies to crush your cravings instantaneously:
- Begin with the end in mind and make it happen now. Write out the specific change you expect to see in the next 24 hours, 7 days, 2 weeks or 1 month from today’s date.
- Design a vision board, vision book or vision statement centered on your expected accomplishment.
- Purchase an accountability journal to log daily thoughts and milestones achieved.
- Establish your own personal support system and surround yourself with positive people who believe in you.
- Create short reminder messages of why this new change is important on a 3×5 or 6×9 card to carry with you during moments of weakness.
- Pre-Record audio words of inspiration to yourself to hear every day to reinforce your new lifestyle goals.
- Eliminate all traces of unhealthy food or drinks in your home and replace with healthy alternatives that are reflective of your new desires.
- Celebrate each accomplishment big or small and reward yourself with a smiley face on a dry erase calendar placed on your refrigerator to witness personal progress.
You possess the power to create massive momentum in minutes and it is all a matter of willingness to change your life for the better! Always remember, small steps create BIG RESULTS!